How to sell a script

Screenwriters, this is dedicated to you! :-) Announce, discuss and shamelessly promote your screenplays here. Other stuff related to screenwriting welcome, too!

How to sell a script

Postby mu_hou » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:34 pm

Hello,

I'm a Chinese screenwriter. I've recently finished writing my English script. I wonder anyone would give me some information about selling scripts.
Thanks. :)
侯钼
mu_hou

Postby MDR » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:54 pm

Get an agent. Hope you live in USA, also helps... :lol:

Get your script "out there"

All scripts will get read...

GL
MDR

Postby ldavis75 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:33 pm

1. Don't get an agent. Not necessary. Sell it yourself and make them come to you.

2. Make sure your screenplay is formatted properly. If it's not, it will get thrown away without being read (that's how readers work).

3. After your script is formatted properly, write a treatment. This is what you will send out to potential buyers. I currently use one treatment for my first work and it's currently being read by three separate production companies.

Of course, before you shop it around, be sure it's protected. Copyrighted and registered with the WGA. Good luck.
ldavis75

Postby BrandyWine » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:40 am

I agree with the last post, except for point 1. You don't NEED an agent, but it helps. Most places will not take unsolicitated material, which means they will return it and you would have wasted your postage. An attorney is a good way to shop a script as well and is easier to get than an agent. You can sell it without either if you can get it to production companies. Now by production companies I don't mean Fox, Sony, Disney, etc. It will not get read by them without being formally pitched by an agent first. Also, send out querry letters, not the actual script. There is no point in paying alot in postage till someone truly has interest.

Best of luck,
BrandyWine Entertainment
Studio City, CA
brandon@film-cafe.com
BrandyWine

Postby King Arthur » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:13 pm

what exactly is the WGA and how does that work ?
King Arthur

treatment

Postby Tiffanylsu » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:43 pm

What is a "treatment"?
Tiffanylsu

Return to Screenwriters' Corner